Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Savoring the Sun

How long ago did I say I had some exciting news to post?
Hint: it wasn't yesterday.

I feel like I've been watching this exciting news for ages... saying to myself every day, "I'm going to blog about this! I HAVE to blog about this! This is so thrilling! Just as soon as I finish..."

See, my friend and classmate, awesome author Jandy Nelson, has a new book out:  


While that is exciting in itself, here's what is even MORE thrilling:
http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2014-10-05/young-adult/list.html
I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN debuted at #8 on the NYTimes Bestseller List! Congratulations, Jandy!

I picked this up last week and started reading. Normally, I plow through books. I am a plot reader: I can't wait to see what happens next. I will go back to a story and read it again if the plot whisked me through.

But this book is different. No plowing. I am walking through each page... strolling, even. The words are so beautiful. I find myself lost in the language, soaking it in like ultraviolet rays of sunlight. It warms me to my core.

I went to school with Jandy and I knew as soon as I met her that this lovely girl has talent. I was lucky to hear her readings throughout our time at the Vermont College of Fine Arts, and I am lucky to count her among my friends. 

But I rave today not because she is my friend. This book is stellar! If you read her first novel THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE, you know the beauty of her writing. Her latest novel reaches even deeper than her first. Here's just a little taste:

We walk and walk through the gray ashy dusk and the forest starts to fall asleep: The trees lie down side by side by side, the creek halts, the plants sink back into the earth, the animals switch places with their shadows, and then, so do we.

 Ahhh, Jandy...

Pardon me. I'm still back in the forest, sinking into the earth with the plants.

 Savor-worthy. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Those are for you, my dear J!)

If you read only one book this year, you. MUST. READ. THIS ONE.

-PLB



Jandy Nelson




No comments: