Saturday, July 3, 2010

Creativity

I had this great post on creativity written. It was a good little blog entry--shorter than most of my posts, but to the point. And the point was: be creative. There are so many ways to be creative. Then my internet connection went on the fritz and I tried to refresh the page, but ultimately, the post was lost.

I won't try to recreate the whole little rant I had about the virtues of creativity. Probably only the Pisces in my readership would have appreciated the ramblings, anyway. I ultimately wanted my readers to know that, though I haven't been posting anything much on this blog lately, I have been pursuing other creative ventures.

Like what? You might ask. I haven't done much on my works-in-progress lately, but I made a photo book for Andy's high school graduation, I wrote some lengthy emails to some long-lost cousins and a dear old college friend, and I wrote good wishes to many of the high school graduates in our life. I've been reading, critiquing, and I've written a few good work reports and memos.

Here's a new creative venture I'm proud to join: Jacket Knack. This is a blog about children's book jackets. It's really neat--Carol Brendler and company do a fine job of finding the most interesting covers in the world of children's books. I'm the fantasy correspondent. Come check it out!

So, my point is this: keep it going. Keep creating. Feed your imagination, and feed your soul. You may not have the luxury of sitting and writing for hours (usually, when I have the time I don't have the energy, and when I have the energy I don't have the time). But there are plenty of other ways to stimulate your brain. Reading, writing, drawing, dancing, painting, music, poetry... who says you have to write to please your muse?

-PLB

No comments: