Wednesday, March 12, 2008

That way... Madness... Lies

I look back at my blog posts in the last 13 months. I've written about my life, my kids, my writing, and my time. I don't get into politics. My political views are different from those of most of my family, many of my coworkers, and who knows how many of my friends. I don't discuss religion with them either--people just don't like to hear something different from what they believe. God bless them.

But tonight, I cannot soothe the anger and outrage that not one but TWO prominent women in politics have caused inside me. So, I'm blogging about it.

Let's start with this: I support Barack Obama. I want him to win. I keep up with the primaries and caucuses. I'm familiar with positions on issues.

I gave Hillary a fair chance to sway me. I always thought that if she won the nomination I would vote for her, simply to cancel out my father's vote against her. I wanted a Democrat to win--ANY Democrat had to be better than the nonsense we've put up with for the last 8 years. I'm sick of the war, sick of the B.S. that is happening in the White House, sick of Bush. I am so tired of people being afraid of other people in our country simply because they don't speak English. I'm tired of the ranting about others who simply don't feel it necessary to have "IN GOD WE TRUST" printed on every U.S. minted coin or bill. I'm tired of the negativity toward gays and the "Holier-Than-Thou" attitude from people who CLAIM to be good Christians. (This is what MY Christian upbringing taught me: "Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned, forgive, and ye shall be forgiven."
~Luke 6:37~)

I don't rant about this anywhere. I don't talk about it. I don't forward those judgmental, hypocritical, asinine emails that promote negativity among Americans. That's not what we need. I ignore them and delete them. Know if you send me one, it will get deleted. If you send me more than one, you're heading for my spam filter. And if you keep sending them, I will eventually tell you to stop. I've confronted friends who felt it necessary to spew these kinds of negative attitudes across the internet. Some of them are still my friends--the ones who can keep their political opinions to themselves or who can discuss it without cutting down whole races of people.

So, what has me infuriated at the moment?

Geraldine Ferraro. Her racist remarks over decades of politics. She commented that the only reason she was given the vice-presidential nomination all those years ago was because she was a woman. Huh. It sure as hell wasn't because she was qualified for the job or the best person for the job! To suggest that Obama is where he is right now is because of LUCK? He's luckier than Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton? Both of them ran for the nomination... LUCK.

Maybe Obama is lucky. He's lucky to have been given by God a sound mind, a clear vision, and a persuasive voice. Wish I could be so lucky. Geraldine Ferraro is just lucky that someone doesn't pummel her at this point.

And then there's Hill, good old Hill. "Regrettable." Her comment about Ferraro. What?!? Ok, here's REGRET for you, Hillary: I regret that you don't have the spine to stand up and speak up for a whole race of people who have historically been disadvantaged in this country. I regret that you and Ms. Ferraro are representing the women of the Democratic party because you're doing an awful job right now. I regret that I won't be able to vote for you in the fall if you DO get the nomination because I have seen your true face--mean-spirited, selfish, and low.

Keith Olbermann spoke my heart tonight in his special comment. (Read it here: http://thenewshole.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/03/12/762678.aspx )
I'm one of those retching Democrats that he speaks of.

I won't be voting in November if Hillary is our nominee. I have no faith in her. I have no desire to spend four more years under the Republican regime. I simply won't vote. I'll be moving to Canada instead.

No comments: